Home

Go Back   Kentuckiana Firearms > General Discussion > Range Report

Range Report Let us know how that new firearm is working for you , so others can be informed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-28-2011, 10:54 AM   #1

KYSohn has much to be proud ofKYSohn has much to be proud ofKYSohn has much to be proud ofKYSohn has much to be proud ofKYSohn has much to be proud ofKYSohn has much to be proud ofKYSohn has much to be proud ofKYSohn has much to be proud ofKYSohn has much to be proud ofKYSohn has much to be proud of
Default Ruger SR9c Range Report...

Hi all,

I had a chance to take my brand new SR9c to a range to test for both function and accuracy about a month ago, and thought I might put this as a range report here.

(Here's the pic of my SR9c)

To give you a brief version (detailed version is below), I have to say that I was very impressed by the function AND accuracy of this little pistol.
In firing 120 rounds total as a brand new gun, there was zero (0) malfunction of any sort!!!
(I did clean it thoroughly before the range trip)
The trigger was excellent, and the grip was very comfortable.
Also, it handled the recoil very well because of the really low bore axle.
FAST double-tapping and even triple-tapping were all resulting in 100% center-mass hit at 25 ft.

Now here's the detailed version (looong) of the report for those who may be interested.

I usually go to KRC for my range time, but it was closed because of the water issue on that day.
So instead, I went to OpenRange instead.

So to test for the accuracy, because of the lack of shooting "bench" at the indoor range, I had to be down on one knee and place the pistol's butt on the loading platform while holding the gun with two hands.
Not really a stable form to test for a group size at 50 ft.

Still, I was really surprised by the group size with my defense load, Remington Golden Saber 124 gr (+p).
4-shot group at 50 feet came just 2" using that unstable method under not as bright indoor range lighting!!! And it had 3.5" length barrel!!!

Here's the picture of a target.

This was a typical target, The shots had more horizontal spread with a flyer.
I think it was because I had a hard time centering the front sight due to the dimmed lighting at the indoor range.

For a striker-fired pistol, it had an EXCELLENT trigger. Very light & short, and clean break without the mush-feeling.
I am sure that its excellent trigger is a major contributor to its accuracy.

Also, the pistol was very comfortable to hold with very natural grip angle. And the grip was thinner than, say, Glock. Somewhere in-between typical double-stack and single-stack thickness.

And firing 100 rounds of my reloaded ammo with Rainier HP 124 gr bullets, W231 powder and CCI primer went without any sort of malfunction what-so-ever.
I pulled the trigger, and the pistol went "bang!!!"

All in all, I am more than 100% satisfied with this SR9c.
I am glad that I picked this little guy over a Glock 19...

PS:
After this range trip, I took this pistol to my CCDW class about two weeks ago, and printed very small 5-shot off-hand groups during the live-fire testing: placing 5-shot in the head, 5 in the neck, 5 in the center-chest, and 5 in the center-abdomen. They were all 1 - 1.5" size groups.
The instructor looked that my target, shook his head slightly, and simply said, "outstanding!"
Man, this little pistol makes me look good at the firing line!!!

I am more than confident that not only this SR9c is an excellent range gun, but also an excellent carry gun due to its small size.
KYSohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:49 AM   #2

Marcus has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus has a reputation beyond repute

Nice review and excellent shooting.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:06 PM   #3

IronSights has a reputation beyond reputeIronSights has a reputation beyond reputeIronSights has a reputation beyond reputeIronSights has a reputation beyond reputeIronSights has a reputation beyond reputeIronSights has a reputation beyond reputeIronSights has a reputation beyond reputeIronSights has a reputation beyond reputeIronSights has a reputation beyond reputeIronSights has a reputation beyond reputeIronSights has a reputation beyond repute

Good write up and nice weapon.
<<<<<<<<<< brick,block and stone mason for hire here.
IronSights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:07 PM   #4

CCRBUM has a reputation beyond reputeCCRBUM has a reputation beyond reputeCCRBUM has a reputation beyond reputeCCRBUM has a reputation beyond reputeCCRBUM has a reputation beyond reputeCCRBUM has a reputation beyond reputeCCRBUM has a reputation beyond reputeCCRBUM has a reputation beyond reputeCCRBUM has a reputation beyond reputeCCRBUM has a reputation beyond reputeCCRBUM has a reputation beyond repute

I love the SR9C :).. when I have the funds for another pistol I'm going to pick another one up! I miss mine ....

Quote:
"At some point, if you want to be a leader, then you got to lead" - Obama

Quote:
PS: I'm not an expert but I did watch a Magpul video once. --- Gaffshot
CCRBUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:16 PM   #5

kymarkh has a reputation beyond reputekymarkh has a reputation beyond reputekymarkh has a reputation beyond reputekymarkh has a reputation beyond reputekymarkh has a reputation beyond reputekymarkh has a reputation beyond reputekymarkh has a reputation beyond reputekymarkh has a reputation beyond reputekymarkh has a reputation beyond reputekymarkh has a reputation beyond reputekymarkh has a reputation beyond repute

Good review - looks like you have a shooter.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:28 PM   #6

coffeebandit has a brilliant futurecoffeebandit has a brilliant futurecoffeebandit has a brilliant futurecoffeebandit has a brilliant futurecoffeebandit has a brilliant futurecoffeebandit has a brilliant futurecoffeebandit has a brilliant futurecoffeebandit has a brilliant futurecoffeebandit has a brilliant futurecoffeebandit has a brilliant futurecoffeebandit has a brilliant future

id like to try their new 40. I own 2 other Rugers, and I love them both. Good write up.

I am a dangerous combination of common sense and intellect.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

When you come for mine, you better bring yours
coffeebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:41 AM   #7

DaveK has a brilliant futureDaveK has a brilliant futureDaveK has a brilliant futureDaveK has a brilliant futureDaveK has a brilliant futureDaveK has a brilliant futureDaveK has a brilliant futureDaveK has a brilliant futureDaveK has a brilliant futureDaveK has a brilliant futureDaveK has a brilliant future

Great review... I'm in the market for a subcompact 9mm and this was one of my choices... thanks for the info.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssracer View Post
some people just simply need to have their breathing rights removed
DaveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:49 PM   #8

KYSohn has much to be proud ofKYSohn has much to be proud ofKYSohn has much to be proud ofKYSohn has much to be proud ofKYSohn has much to be proud ofKYSohn has much to be proud ofKYSohn has much to be proud ofKYSohn has much to be proud ofKYSohn has much to be proud ofKYSohn has much to be proud of
Default An Update on Ruger SR9C

Here's an update on my Ruger SR9C.

I tried more experiments with my reloads of 9mm for this pistol.
As I mentioned before, it shot really well with my defense rounds of Rem Golden Saber +p, but didn't do that well with my reloads.

I figured I must've loaded them too hot, so this time I used reduced loads of 3.9, 4.1 and 4.3 grains of WW231.
And guess what, I think I found the magic formula, 3.9 grain of WW231!!!

Here's the target shot with that load (124gr Rainer plated HP bullets, 3.9gr of WW231, CCI primer, mixed brass), 5-shot group at around 20-22 yards at KCR, fired on the rest.

Including the 100 rounds I fired on that day, I've shot total of 224 rounds through this SR9C with ZERO malfunction.
So yes, this Ruger SR9C is not only accurate, but also reliable!!!
And it is very reasonably priced!

In conclusion, I say this SR9C is a WINNER~!!!

Last edited by KYSohn; 05-13-2011 at 04:52 PM.
KYSohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:03 PM   #9

nogomoto has a reputation beyond reputenogomoto has a reputation beyond reputenogomoto has a reputation beyond reputenogomoto has a reputation beyond reputenogomoto has a reputation beyond reputenogomoto has a reputation beyond reputenogomoto has a reputation beyond reputenogomoto has a reputation beyond reputenogomoto has a reputation beyond reputenogomoto has a reputation beyond reputenogomoto has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCRBUM View Post
I love the SR9C :).. when I have the funds for another pistol I'm going to pick another one up! I miss mine ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYSohn View Post
In conclusion, I say this SR9C is a WINNER~!!!
I also dig the SR9c. The one I have USED to belong to another KFA'er. It's the stainless model. Out of the holster is very comfortable and spot on. Standing and trying to make a decent group is very easy to do. If I take the scope off the lil ones rifle (Cricket), I can match her shot for shot on targets we set out (she kicks my but with that scope though!). Comfortable is the word there. Its not like the other double stacks I've handled, it's thinner.

Also the backstrap on the Ruger is reversable. Making it super easy to alter your grip very quickly to make it even more comfortable.
nogomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:06 PM   #10
Gold Member

Wyldman has a reputation beyond reputeWyldman has a reputation beyond reputeWyldman has a reputation beyond reputeWyldman has a reputation beyond reputeWyldman has a reputation beyond reputeWyldman has a reputation beyond reputeWyldman has a reputation beyond reputeWyldman has a reputation beyond reputeWyldman has a reputation beyond reputeWyldman has a reputation beyond reputeWyldman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogomoto View Post

Also the backstrap on the Ruger is reversable. Making it super easy to alter your grip very quickly to make it even more comfortable.
And how did you find that lil nugget?

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

"I don't like repeat offenders. I like dead offenders." - Ted Nugent

Definition of a conservative: A liberal who's been mugged.

God Bless America!
Wyldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 11:27 PM   #11

nogomoto has a reputation beyond reputenogomoto has a reputation beyond reputenogomoto has a reputation beyond reputenogomoto has a reputation beyond reputenogomoto has a reputation beyond reputenogomoto has a reputation beyond reputenogomoto has a reputation beyond reputenogomoto has a reputation beyond reputenogomoto has a reputation beyond reputenogomoto has a reputation beyond reputenogomoto has a reputation beyond repute

It helps to have a more experienced firearms enthusiast at your side!
nogomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 07:18 AM   #12

CCRBUM has a reputation beyond reputeCCRBUM has a reputation beyond reputeCCRBUM has a reputation beyond reputeCCRBUM has a reputation beyond reputeCCRBUM has a reputation beyond reputeCCRBUM has a reputation beyond reputeCCRBUM has a reputation beyond reputeCCRBUM has a reputation beyond reputeCCRBUM has a reputation beyond reputeCCRBUM has a reputation beyond reputeCCRBUM has a reputation beyond repute

rebuild the AR first and then another sr9c!

Quote:
"At some point, if you want to be a leader, then you got to lead" - Obama

Quote:
PS: I'm not an expert but I did watch a Magpul video once. --- Gaffshot
CCRBUM is offline   Reply With Quote