Home

Go Back   Kentuckiana Firearms > General Interest > Legal & Politics & Religion

Legal & Politics & Religion Forum for all topics relating to law and politics including religion. 2nd amendment news and controversy here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-30-2012, 01:00 PM   #1

doug has a reputation beyond reputedoug has a reputation beyond reputedoug has a reputation beyond reputedoug has a reputation beyond reputedoug has a reputation beyond reputedoug has a reputation beyond reputedoug has a reputation beyond reputedoug has a reputation beyond reputedoug has a reputation beyond reputedoug has a reputation beyond reputedoug has a reputation beyond repute
Default Have you contacted...

Have you contacted your Senators, Congressmen and President? To tell them why you think an AWB or magazine ban or anything like that is wrong. I did. This is what I sent them:
We should not ban "assault style" weapons and large capacity magazines. The 2nd amendment guarantees the right to own weapons just like the military has. to protect our families from the government as much as terrorists. There is a better way, strengthen the laws already in place. Make it harder for criminals and mentally unstable people to get firearms.
If you want to ban these weapons then shouldn't you ban high powered vehicles, alcohol and illegal drugs? (oh wait those are against the law, how is that working?)
Data published earlier this year showed that while the original ban was in place, from 1994 to 2004, the number of mass shootings actually rose slightly during that period.
If we believe the stats published here: http://monderno.com/murder-statistics/
"assault weapons" are not the cause of death and destruction as we are lead to believe. do we want any ban on weapons... NO. We need to better protect our rights by not allowing just anyone to have the ability to own firearms. I, like many normal law-abiding citizens believe in our 2nd amendment and what it stands for.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:10 PM   #2

awesomePOSSUM has a reputation beyond reputeawesomePOSSUM has a reputation beyond reputeawesomePOSSUM has a reputation beyond reputeawesomePOSSUM has a reputation beyond reputeawesomePOSSUM has a reputation beyond reputeawesomePOSSUM has a reputation beyond reputeawesomePOSSUM has a reputation beyond reputeawesomePOSSUM has a reputation beyond reputeawesomePOSSUM has a reputation beyond reputeawesomePOSSUM has a reputation beyond reputeawesomePOSSUM has a reputation beyond repute

I was thinking of writing the other day and I probably will soon.

You don't need a black rifle to be cool, but it sure helps.
awesomePOSSUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:23 PM   #3

Frailer has a reputation beyond reputeFrailer has a reputation beyond reputeFrailer has a reputation beyond reputeFrailer has a reputation beyond reputeFrailer has a reputation beyond reputeFrailer has a reputation beyond reputeFrailer has a reputation beyond reputeFrailer has a reputation beyond reputeFrailer has a reputation beyond reputeFrailer has a reputation beyond reputeFrailer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomePOSSUM View Post
I was thinking of writing the other day and I probably will soon.
Without meaning to lecture, why not make the decision to do it, and do it *right now*?

it will take you less than 10 minutes to e-mail your representative and both senators. You don't have to write a term paper:

Subject: "Assault Weapon" Ban

Dear Mr. Xxxxx

I'm sure you've received many e-mails on this subject, so I'll be very brief. I just wanted to take a moment to register my strongest objection to any proposed ban of so-called "assault weapons" and "high capacity" magazines.

While the tragedy in Connecticut was heart-breaking, it is imperative that we not allow emotion to override reason.

Many thanks for your time,

--
Possum
Frailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:26 PM   #4

Busboy has a reputation beyond reputeBusboy has a reputation beyond reputeBusboy has a reputation beyond reputeBusboy has a reputation beyond reputeBusboy has a reputation beyond reputeBusboy has a reputation beyond reputeBusboy has a reputation beyond reputeBusboy has a reputation beyond reputeBusboy has a reputation beyond reputeBusboy has a reputation beyond reputeBusboy has a reputation beyond repute

Keep this in mind as you write your reps.

Some don't care, either because they are so rabidly against Freedom and Liberty, they could care less what you think about the issue. Or, they are so pro-Freedom and Liberty, that you are only saying what they believe anyways (BTW, it is important for the Pro-Liberty reps to get these calls/letters, so they can better withstand pressure from their party, both Dems and Reps are pushing hard for control of the people, thus a weapons ban)

But in the middle, according to research done, there are about 67% of those Reps that don't hold any strong thoughts on this issue at all.

What they really want is to keep their Congressional license plates, government paid hookers, and D.C. party access.

So what you need to convey to them is what your wishes are, and that you are watching. You don't need to "convince" them of anything else, other than if they do the wrong thing, their job may be in jeopardy.

No need to make a long letter, if you spend more than a minute at it, you are likely spending too much time. Your rep will not read your letter, some pimple faced intern will. They will be clueless of most of the words you use, so you have as a goal, to get them to mark the proper place on a form, and to ensure they select the proper form to mark.

So,

"No more gun control laws or limitations on gun ownership, or limits on magazine capacity. I look forward to watching your vote on these issues."

If you have a specific a bill number to reference, that is even better. "Vote NO on SB 123. I and my friends will be watching your actions on this bill."

Frankly, long explanations will not get to your Rep, and the pimple faced intern may get confused as to your intent and even toss your letter in the trash.

Unfortunately, your Rep, if they seek real information, will rely upon those lobby groups who visit his office. This is where groups like the NRA, GOA, Heritage Foundation, all are worth your donations/membership. These groups have weight, because they "represent" many on specific issues, AND they have useful information that Reps can use in debates on the issues.

They would never use information from a mere voter, as they will never see it, nor will they take the time to verify the information.

However, if they have a stack of letters which support or oppose a specific bill or issue, they now are forced to weigh these letters against any actions their party leaders may be pressing for. This may deter them from submitting to leadership, or it may give them the confidence to buck leadership if that is their natural inclination.

I will say, this AWB fight MUST move to the States. We will very likely lose this battle on the federal level, as the momentum is simply too strong against Liberty. However, with 8 stats already passing the Firearms Freedom Act, and 20 more who have introduced it, and likely more to come as this issue heats up, the states can put a very real barrier between the abuses of the federal government and the people. http://tenthamendmentcenter.com/null...s-freedom-act/
Busboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:02 PM   #5

doug has a reputation beyond reputedoug has a reputation beyond reputedoug has a reputation beyond reputedoug has a reputation beyond reputedoug has a reputation beyond reputedoug has a reputation beyond reputedoug has a reputation beyond reputedoug has a reputation beyond reputedoug has a reputation beyond reputedoug has a reputation beyond reputedoug has a reputation beyond repute

Good points from Frailer and Busboy. Thanks for helping out. Any contact with our reps in Washington, I believe is good.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:21 PM   #6

Tristar has a reputation beyond reputeTristar has a reputation beyond reputeTristar has a reputation beyond reputeTristar has a reputation beyond reputeTristar has a reputation beyond reputeTristar has a reputation beyond reputeTristar has a reputation beyond reputeTristar has a reputation beyond reputeTristar has a reputation beyond reputeTristar has a reputation beyond reputeTristar has a reputation beyond repute

I used this to hit them all at once..

< http://www.congress.org/congressorg/...ML&MC_targets= >
Old 12-30-2012, 04:14 PM   #7

awesomePOSSUM has a reputation beyond reputeawesomePOSSUM has a reputation beyond reputeawesomePOSSUM has a reputation beyond reputeawesomePOSSUM has a reputation beyond reputeawesomePOSSUM has a reputation beyond reputeawesomePOSSUM has a reputation beyond reputeawesomePOSSUM has a reputation beyond reputeawesomePOSSUM has a reputation beyond reputeawesomePOSSUM has a reputation beyond reputeawesomePOSSUM has a reputation beyond reputeawesomePOSSUM has a reputation beyond repute

Because I'm busy. Jeez. Get off my *** about it.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:14 PM   #8

Should I really sign it Possum???

Old 12-31-2012, 03:22 AM   #9

kimdw78 has a reputation beyond reputekimdw78 has a reputation beyond reputekimdw78 has a reputation beyond reputekimdw78 has a reputation beyond reputekimdw78 has a reputation beyond reputekimdw78 has a reputation beyond reputekimdw78 has a reputation beyond reputekimdw78 has a reputation beyond reputekimdw78 has a reputation beyond reputekimdw78 has a reputation beyond reputekimdw78 has a reputation beyond repute

Did my part guys. Just wrote yarmuth, rand paul, and mitch.
kimdw78 is offline   Reply With Quote