Home

Go Back   Kentuckiana Firearms > General Interest > Legal & Politics & Religion

Legal & Politics & Religion Forum for all topics relating to law and politics including religion. 2nd amendment news and controversy here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2012, 11:26 AM   #1

philbear has a reputation beyond reputephilbear has a reputation beyond reputephilbear has a reputation beyond reputephilbear has a reputation beyond reputephilbear has a reputation beyond reputephilbear has a reputation beyond reputephilbear has a reputation beyond reputephilbear has a reputation beyond reputephilbear has a reputation beyond reputephilbear has a reputation beyond reputephilbear has a reputation beyond repute
Default IRS refuses to stop rampant fraud

millions of illegal aliens are getting a larger tax return than you

http://www.wthr.com/video?clipId=7054149&autostart=true

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests”. - Patrick Henry
philbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:44 AM   #2

philbear has a reputation beyond reputephilbear has a reputation beyond reputephilbear has a reputation beyond reputephilbear has a reputation beyond reputephilbear has a reputation beyond reputephilbear has a reputation beyond reputephilbear has a reputation beyond reputephilbear has a reputation beyond reputephilbear has a reputation beyond reputephilbear has a reputation beyond reputephilbear has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a follow-up to the story...a bit repetitive, but it shows at least some in Congress want it stopped:

http://www.wthr.com/story/17861738/w...gal-immigrants

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests”. - Patrick Henry
Old 05-03-2012, 03:06 PM   #3

SmithShooter9 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithShooter9 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithShooter9 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithShooter9 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithShooter9 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithShooter9 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithShooter9 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithShooter9 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithShooter9 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithShooter9 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithShooter9 has a reputation beyond repute

Good post! That is just insane! It literally makes me want to beat my head against a wall. I sometimes think our forefathers put up with half the crap we do. They got pissed about it and fought for their freedom. We have sat back for years and watched our freedom slowly disappear while a tyrannical government robs us blind and we do nothing. Don't get me wrong, we have a great country, and great people but our government is out of control! Something has got to change or we are going to loose everything those people fought so hard to give us.
SmithShooter9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:19 PM   #4

Dashammer has a reputation beyond reputeDashammer has a reputation beyond reputeDashammer has a reputation beyond reputeDashammer has a reputation beyond reputeDashammer has a reputation beyond reputeDashammer has a reputation beyond reputeDashammer has a reputation beyond reputeDashammer has a reputation beyond reputeDashammer has a reputation beyond reputeDashammer has a reputation beyond reputeDashammer has a reputation beyond repute

I am not one bit surprised by this. Our freaken national government is broken and has been for decades and the beaucratic fools that run the infrastructure are just as much to blame. I love the surprised look on that congressman face, but here is my real question surprised congressman what the hell you been doing for the past 20 some odd year you been there already dude. Ain't nothing going to chance in Washington until something like some huge constitutional changes like.

1. presidential elections decided by popular vote
2. term limits on congress
3. manditory retirement for the surpreme court justices at least by age 72
4. national sales tax that replaces the income tax law

Until change like that happen we will just continue down the hole.

4.2 billion would help a huge number of wounded vets or send a bunch of kids to college, or repair a lot of bridges.
Dashammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:16 PM   #5

SmithShooter9 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithShooter9 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithShooter9 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithShooter9 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithShooter9 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithShooter9 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithShooter9 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithShooter9 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithShooter9 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithShooter9 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithShooter9 has a reputation beyond repute

Amen brother! Also put a cap on how much you are allowed to spend to get elected. Everyone gets the exact same amount. Interest groups and corporations don't get to contribute 1 penny! No more buying polititians to pass the laws you want.
SmithShooter9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:33 PM   #6

Busboy has a reputation beyond reputeBusboy has a reputation beyond reputeBusboy has a reputation beyond reputeBusboy has a reputation beyond reputeBusboy has a reputation beyond reputeBusboy has a reputation beyond reputeBusboy has a reputation beyond reputeBusboy has a reputation beyond reputeBusboy has a reputation beyond reputeBusboy has a reputation beyond reputeBusboy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashammer View Post
1. presidential elections decided by popular vote HUGE disaster! I can detail why, but it would be a REDUCTION in both Freedom and Representation.
2. term limits on congress
3. manditory retirement for the surpreme court justices at least by age 72
4. national sales tax that replaces the income tax law

Until change like that happen we will just continue down the hole.
Sadly, we already have EVERY TOOL we need to fix the problems we face as a country, but the people refuse to utilize them. (again, happy to detail them, if you really desire)

Adding more "tools" won't fix the situation. And considering that most of what you mention above, would require a Constitutional Amendment (each of them), your suggested ideas are much more difficult to implement than simply using the tools already Constitutionally available to us.

BTW, there are already states/people working to restrict the funds going to D.C., again, details available if desired.
Busboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:17 PM   #7

wash has a reputation beyond reputewash has a reputation beyond reputewash has a reputation beyond reputewash has a reputation beyond reputewash has a reputation beyond reputewash has a reputation beyond reputewash has a reputation beyond reputewash has a reputation beyond reputewash has a reputation beyond reputewash has a reputation beyond reputewash has a reputation beyond repute

Busboy, if you find the time and want to, would you care to elaborate on the reasoning behind your comment in red?

I've always felt the electoral college system was not fair. For example.

Ky has 8 electoral college votes
California has 55. Illinois has 21.

I get that the number of votes is based on population, I think. But if I was a candidate, I would not spend much time/resources campaigning in Ky, and would not NEED to care much about Ky's needs/wants from me as a candidate.

I'm just looking to learn, not arguing. You seem to be very up on this stuff, and I'd be interested to read your thoughts on why the electoral college system is superior to a popular vote system if you feel like sharing at some point. You may have already done so in another thread. If so, I'd gladly read that.

Thanks.

Guns are tools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feralghoul View Post
I believe that is called a Kentucky reload.
Quote:
Have you ever shot an ak variant you didn't like?
wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:21 PM   #8

wash has a reputation beyond reputewash has a reputation beyond reputewash has a reputation beyond reputewash has a reputation beyond reputewash has a reputation beyond reputewash has a reputation beyond reputewash has a reputation beyond reputewash has a reputation beyond reputewash has a reputation beyond reputewash has a reputation beyond reputewash has a reputation beyond repute

Regarding the video, thanks for the post OP. Illegal immigrants claiming child tax credits on kids that live in Mexico?????
Outrageous!

Guns are tools.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-03-2012, 08:18 PM   #9

Busboy has a reputation beyond reputeBusboy has a reputation beyond reputeBusboy has a reputation beyond reputeBusboy has a reputation beyond reputeBusboy has a reputation beyond reputeBusboy has a reputation beyond reputeBusboy has a reputation beyond reputeBusboy has a reputation beyond reputeBusboy has a reputation beyond reputeBusboy has a reputation beyond reputeBusboy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by washburnizer View Post
Busboy, if you find the time and want to, would you care to elaborate on the reasoning behind your comment in red?

I've always felt the electoral college system was not fair. For example.

Ky has 8 electoral college votes
California has 55. Illinois has 21.

I get that the number of votes is based on population, I think. But if I was a candidate, I would not spend much time/resources campaigning in Ky, and would not NEED to care much about Ky's needs/wants from me as a candidate.

I'm just looking to learn, not arguing. You seem to be very up on this stuff, and I'd be interested to read your thoughts on why the electoral college system is superior to a popular vote system if you feel like sharing at some point. You may have already done so in another thread. If so, I'd gladly read that.

Thanks.
I'll do this, in a different thread. Hopefully, the mods will not have any grief with that, but it seems both fitting and fair to the OP.

When I do, I will try to post a link here.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:56 PM   #10

Sounds good.

Guns are tools.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-03-2012, 10:52 PM   #11

OK, toss some of it up: Electoral College, a primer for the American Owner

It is a bunch, and I suspect it can be added to and detailed out in places, but it is a fair start.

I think it could use more discussion as to why and how the Electoral College preserves one's vote better than the direct popular vote....if folks seem to think so after chewing on it, I will give it a more detailed posting.

Enjoy
Old 05-04-2012, 03:30 AM   #12

Dashammer has a reputation beyond reputeDashammer has a reputation beyond reputeDashammer has a reputation beyond reputeDashammer has a reputation beyond reputeDashammer has a reputation beyond reputeDashammer has a reputation beyond reputeDashammer has a reputation beyond reputeDashammer has a reputation beyond reputeDashammer has a reputation beyond reputeDashammer has a reputation beyond reputeDashammer has a reputation beyond repute

So you agree with the other 3 points.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:30 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashammer View Post
So you agree with the other 3 points.
Term limits for Congress would be a positive, but frankly, there are easier ways to skin that cat. Ways that are available to us today, which don't require a Constitutional Amendment, and can be enacted by only a few states to be effective. To try to impose term limits, would be a very difficult task.

Mandatory retirement for Supreme Court Justices is a bad idea. The reason being is that, again, it requires a Constitutional Amendment, but mostly because it overlooks the restrictions already placed, under the Constitution, upon the Supreme Court. Do you know that Congress can pass a simple law stating that the Supreme Court can, or can not hear certain cases or areas of law? Further, the Constitution only allows the Supreme Court to hear the Constitutionality of laws which the Constitution grants authority to the federal government to exercise...there are only 18 things they are Constitutionally authorized to do. Hint, health care is not one of them. The whole of the federal system is amok, but again, the tools to fix them are in place and ready to go, and much easier to implement than Constitutional Amendments.

National Sales tax is a bad idea. It is a much better idea than what we have today, but BOTH are contrary to the Constitution and the Founder's vision.

If we pare the federal government back to the 18 things it is Constitutionally supposed to be doing, then they would not be the HUGE MONSTER they have become, thus they would need much less funding. The original intent was that the federal government would raise funds primarily through import/export taxes. If they tried that today, it would drastically skyrocket the prices of goods, as all of these taxes would be passed on.

The national sales tax movement has built in, some cuts in spending and reductions in federal government size/cost. But a 17 or 23% sales tax would be more bad than good.

The solution is a restructuring of the power in this country, back to the Constitutional form, and this would drastically cut federal spending and abuse. Some states have introduced legislation to curb the taxes going to the federal government....note, this can be done with simple laws, no Constitutional Amendments needed: http://tenthamendmentcenter.com/null...tax-funds-act/

Not saying that the other three ideas are bad, and quite arguably better than what is currently happening, but neither are in line with the Constitutional vision. They have so messed up things, but now they are proposing "solutions" which are not solutions, just different ways for them to retain/gain more power. The solution is to roll back the abuses and get back to a Constitutional power structure. This is an EASIER route for the American People, as all of the tools and needed processes are in place, we simply need to exercise them. I suspect we will get a national sales tax, when the current system is no longer "as good" as a national sales tax, in producing revenue and control. Unless the people insist upon a Constitutional path. BTW, it does not take a majority of the people to make this happen, many fewer than what it would take to pass a Constitutional Amendment.

(Seems you guys have struck a chord with me, and are making me post long posts...Sorry again...
Old 05-04-2012, 06:35 PM   #14

And here we some what agree again. Congressional term limit to me really does one thing. In a way it stops intrenchment. Where a person become a professional politician and spends 20,30,or even 40 years living as a prince, duke, baron, emir or emu or what ever they consider themselves after that much time in Washington and lose complete touch with the common man back home. Surpreme court manditory retirement age. It flushes out people steeped in ideas and concept that where all the rage 50 years ago. Now I will say a third branch of government that is not beholding to the ballot box and any political mandate is for sure a must. National sales tax vs the income tax is a two edged soward that only cut one way that being. If the national powers that be don't have as one of their primary mission to put and keep people at work here on our soil then the income stream for them drys up fast and the american people would never stand for a 25 or 30 persent national sale tax. It would IMHO force a restructuring of our present inport policies to a more level playing field. It also put the power of the dollar back where it needs to be in the once most powerful economic force in the world the american middle class and not in some money laundering a-hole on wall street. We are both trying to get there. And some real good food for thought.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:51 AM   #15

You make some good points, and can't say I disagree.

I would never oppose a Congressional term limits Constitutional Amendment.

I can't say I would necessarily oppose retirement of Supreme judges, but that also tends to foster a "younger" court, which could have its pitfalls.

Frankly, I don't see the Supreme Court as being a threat to our Freedoms, as of yet. The Congress can limit their scope of areas they can hear.

A tax system which would have some built in limiting mechanisms would be nice, but I am not sure this is really possible.

Looks like these issues will not get solved until there is a campfire and a few ounces of premium adult beverages..
Old 05-05-2012, 06:51 AM   #16

I here you if we ever cross paths out there in the big bad world the first long neck or shot of Maker's Mark is on me.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:14 AM   #17

An excellent primer on the Constitution is the free on-line course available at Hillsdale college:

http://www.hillsdale.edu/constitution/

Old 05-06-2012, 12:23 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by philbear View Post
An excellent primer on the Constitution is the free on-line course available at Hillsdale college:

http://www.hillsdale.edu/constitution/
Can't recommend this enough!!!