Home

Go Back   Kentuckiana Firearms > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion

General Rifle Discussion General rifle discussion topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2011, 12:09 AM   #1

Location: Mayfield, KY, Farther west than most people know KY is
DeadOnSniperService has a reputation beyond reputeDeadOnSniperService has a reputation beyond reputeDeadOnSniperService has a reputation beyond reputeDeadOnSniperService has a reputation beyond reputeDeadOnSniperService has a reputation beyond reputeDeadOnSniperService has a reputation beyond reputeDeadOnSniperService has a reputation beyond reputeDeadOnSniperService has a reputation beyond reputeDeadOnSniperService has a reputation beyond reputeDeadOnSniperService has a reputation beyond reputeDeadOnSniperService has a reputation beyond repute
Default "Doping" your scope

The scope currently on my AR has adjustable turrets set at 1/4@100, I've Ben doing some reading as to how to adjust the turrets for greater distances, for the .223 55gr fmj this is what I came up with, can someone tell me
If I am anywhere close on my numbers? I'm still learning but I think I have decided rather than "cheating" and getting a scope with a BDC I will teach myself how to do all the math required for distance shooting, I'm currently looking for a book to help me learn.

Range Elevation
50 yd 2 clicks
100 yd 0 clicks
150 yd 2 clicks
200 yd 5 clicks
250 yd 9 clicks
300 yd 14 clicks
350 yd 20 clicks
400 yd 27 clicks
500 yd 43 clicks
Originally Posted by washburnizer View Post
2 hours church undone by a few minutes in the mine!
http://www.messentools.com/images/em...ok-like-01.pngDead-On Sniper Service Facebook!
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h1...1331317726.jpg
DeadOnSniperService is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:15 AM   #2

325MOUTguru has a reputation beyond repute325MOUTguru has a reputation beyond repute325MOUTguru has a reputation beyond repute325MOUTguru has a reputation beyond repute325MOUTguru has a reputation beyond repute325MOUTguru has a reputation beyond repute325MOUTguru has a reputation beyond repute325MOUTguru has a reputation beyond repute325MOUTguru has a reputation beyond repute325MOUTguru has a reputation beyond repute325MOUTguru has a reputation beyond repute

Pick up a copy of ULTIMATE SNIPER.

I honestly do not know the ballistics of 55gr .223 for long range.
There is a lot of factors to consider when shooting lr.

Real World training for Real World situations check out RWI Tactical at http://kyfirearmstraining.com/
325MOUTguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:30 AM   #3

AErrorist has a reputation beyond reputeAErrorist has a reputation beyond reputeAErrorist has a reputation beyond reputeAErrorist has a reputation beyond reputeAErrorist has a reputation beyond reputeAErrorist has a reputation beyond reputeAErrorist has a reputation beyond reputeAErrorist has a reputation beyond reputeAErrorist has a reputation beyond reputeAErrorist has a reputation beyond reputeAErrorist has a reputation beyond repute

DOPE = data on previous engagements

The only way to get solid dope is to shoot at various known distances. They do make some very good ballistic calculators though if you want to try one of those. I have the Knights Armament app on my iPhone that I'm going to give a try this weekend.
AErrorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:21 PM   #4

DeadOnSniperService has a reputation beyond reputeDeadOnSniperService has a reputation beyond reputeDeadOnSniperService has a reputation beyond reputeDeadOnSniperService has a reputation beyond reputeDeadOnSniperService has a reputation beyond reputeDeadOnSniperService has a reputation beyond reputeDeadOnSniperService has a reputation beyond reputeDeadOnSniperService has a reputation beyond reputeDeadOnSniperService has a reputation beyond reputeDeadOnSniperService has a reputation beyond reputeDeadOnSniperService has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AErrorist View Post
DOPE = data on previous engagements

The only way to get solid dope is to shoot at various known distances. They do make some very good ballistic calculators though if you want to try one of those. I have the Knights Armament app on my iPhone that I'm going to give a try this weekend.
Im picking up a Tungston T5 palm data thingy this afternoon to install a couple different calculators on to try out, we should stay in touch on here and let each other know what works, I have "LetFly" on my phone and it seems pretty close
http://www.messentools.com/images/em...ok-like-01.pngDead-On Sniper Service Facebook!
Old 03-08-2011, 03:30 PM   #5

325MOUTguru has a reputation beyond repute325MOUTguru has a reputation beyond repute325MOUTguru has a reputation beyond repute325MOUTguru has a reputation beyond repute325MOUTguru has a reputation beyond repute325MOUTguru has a reputation beyond repute325MOUTguru has a reputation beyond repute325MOUTguru has a reputation beyond repute325MOUTguru has a reputation beyond repute325MOUTguru has a reputation beyond repute325MOUTguru has a reputation beyond repute

OK, ow that I have a computer and not a phone....

The above statement on DOPE is correct.
Get your self a data book, start shooting and notate everything!
Time, temp, humidity, elevation, distance, wind, ammo specs, weapon specs, etc....

Real World training for Real World situations check out RWI Tactical at http://kyfirearmstraining.com/
325MOUTguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:12 PM   #6

dudish has much to be proud ofdudish has much to be proud ofdudish has much to be proud ofdudish has much to be proud ofdudish has much to be proud ofdudish has much to be proud ofdudish has much to be proud ofdudish has much to be proud of

Use what you got from the online calculator to help get you on paper. It will not be completely accurate even if it did come from the internet. When you go to the range, recore your adjustments to get the rounds where they need to be. I keep my log book simple because it works for the kind of shooting that I do. I record distance, adjustments, approxomate wind speed, wind value, temp. I have not had the opportunity to get into shooting at angles, altitude, phase of the moon, wifes week in cycle ect. Good luck.
dudish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:30 PM   #7

Log book, check, I'll try that, should I start at 100 and stretch from there? In a perfect world I'd like to be able to consistently reach 500 and keep it on the paper, this does have real world uses for me, my tree stand is setup in a field I can and have seen literally 50-75 deer in a day in the 4-500 yard range and we aren't talking 6 pointers here either
Old 03-08-2011, 06:52 PM   #8

dudish has much to be proud ofdudish has much to be proud ofdudish has much to be proud ofdudish has much to be proud ofdudish has much to be proud ofdudish has much to be proud ofdudish has much to be proud ofdudish has much to be proud of

You are probably not going to adjust your scope between 50-250 yards. That is only about 1.75 inch difference. But yes, start at 100 and work your way out in 50 yard incriments if possible. BTW, you are planning on hunting deer with your AR and 55 grn FMJ?
dudish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:04 PM   #9

Mudcat has a reputation beyond reputeMudcat has a reputation beyond reputeMudcat has a reputation beyond reputeMudcat has a reputation beyond reputeMudcat has a reputation beyond reputeMudcat has a reputation beyond reputeMudcat has a reputation beyond reputeMudcat has a reputation beyond reputeMudcat has a reputation beyond reputeMudcat has a reputation beyond reputeMudcat has a reputation beyond repute

Best thing to do is get it out and shoot it. But it sounds like you are new to long range shooting. You need to learn and understand MOA or Mils depending on what your scope is graduated in, also bullet trajectory. All your data will be useless if you do not have a solid grasp of how to put it to use. Read and practice, make sure you are shooting at the same POA.

There are only 4 things to 500 yard shooting.
1. Proper shooting technique. If you cannot put 5 rounds into a 1" square at 25 yards (4 moa) without a rest or bipod from prone you are not ready to go farther, work on technique. This is where a shooting foundation is created work on it until you can do it every time. Get to an Appleseed!

2. Target detection if you cannot find and identify your target you cannot hit it.

3. Range estimation, you have to be able to determine the range of the target to be able to hit it.

4. Come ups, understanding bullet trajectory and knowing your rifle and your ammo. Knowing how much your bullet drops at what distance and how much to adjust your sights to compensate.

These are the basics of course once a shooter grasps these and can put them into practice then it gets even harder. You can start to understand wind, temperature, humidity, slope.... man it never ends. But it sure is a blast to put it into practice.