Home

Go Back   Kentuckiana Firearms > Down Range > Carry Issues & Personal Protection

Carry Issues & Personal Protection Discussions related to carrying your handgun, licenses, laws, and other related topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-26-2009, 10:59 AM   #1

Holy Smoke is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hospital Carry

I have a Kentucky CCDW permit. My job has me in and out of a lot of hospitals in Kentucky. Some of them have the "universal" no hand guns permitted sign on some of the doors but not all of them. Others have no signs at all. But if I understand the state statutes, those signs are not any different than those posted on a restaurant door. If someone discovers you are a carrying concealed all they can do is ask you to leave. Is that correct? If not what are the laws in Kentucky regarding hospital carry--whether there are signs or not?

Last edited by Holy Smoke; 12-26-2009 at 11:01 AM.
Holy Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 11:50 AM   #2

Sonny has a reputation beyond reputeSonny has a reputation beyond reputeSonny has a reputation beyond reputeSonny has a reputation beyond reputeSonny has a reputation beyond reputeSonny has a reputation beyond reputeSonny has a reputation beyond reputeSonny has a reputation beyond reputeSonny has a reputation beyond reputeSonny has a reputation beyond reputeSonny has a reputation beyond repute

i would be more concerned as to what your employer thinks about you carrying while your on the clock. they cant keep you from having a gun in your personal vehicle but they can with a company vehicle.
Old 12-26-2009, 12:21 PM   #3

KyanSEPT has a reputation beyond reputeKyanSEPT has a reputation beyond reputeKyanSEPT has a reputation beyond reputeKyanSEPT has a reputation beyond reputeKyanSEPT has a reputation beyond reputeKyanSEPT has a reputation beyond reputeKyanSEPT has a reputation beyond reputeKyanSEPT has a reputation beyond reputeKyanSEPT has a reputation beyond reputeKyanSEPT has a reputation beyond reputeKyanSEPT has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty sure you can't carry in any hospital.
Old 12-26-2009, 12:44 PM   #4

ssracer has a reputation beyond reputessracer has a reputation beyond reputessracer has a reputation beyond reputessracer has a reputation beyond reputessracer has a reputation beyond reputessracer has a reputation beyond reputessracer has a reputation beyond reputessracer has a reputation beyond reputessracer has a reputation beyond reputessracer has a reputation beyond reputessracer has a reputation beyond repute

According to the KSP website, hospital are not expressly forbidden:

http://kentuckystatepolice.org/conceal.htm

But I agree with the part about what your employer might say.
ssracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 12:56 PM   #5

NELSON has a reputation beyond reputeNELSON has a reputation beyond reputeNELSON has a reputation beyond reputeNELSON has a reputation beyond reputeNELSON has a reputation beyond reputeNELSON has a reputation beyond reputeNELSON has a reputation beyond reputeNELSON has a reputation beyond reputeNELSON has a reputation beyond reputeNELSON has a reputation beyond reputeNELSON has a reputation beyond repute

I always carry while in a hospital. There are too many emotions flying around. Remember the Concealed means concealed!! Out of sight out of mind. They can only ask you to leave.
NELSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 12:58 PM   #6

Holy Smoke is an unknown quantity at this point

Good point about having an employer's approval. My employer has no problem with an employee's carrying so long as it is legal. It is correct that hospital carry is not expressly forbidden and that is the reason that I am looking for some understanding of the hospital issue.

Thanks for the contribution(s) you all are making.
Holy Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 01:53 PM   #7
Gold Member

Wyldman has a reputation beyond reputeWyldman has a reputation beyond reputeWyldman has a reputation beyond reputeWyldman has a reputation beyond reputeWyldman has a reputation beyond reputeWyldman has a reputation beyond reputeWyldman has a reputation beyond reputeWyldman has a reputation beyond reputeWyldman has a reputation beyond reputeWyldman has a reputation beyond reputeWyldman has a reputation beyond repute

Well, that's interesting, I always thought that hospitals were strictly off limits for concealed carry. I guess that stems from my originally getting my CCW in Texas where it is (was? it may have changed...) a 3rd degree felony to possess arms (of any kind) in a hospital or doctor's office (at least it was 17 years ago when I got the first training class, there).

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

"I don't like repeat offenders. I like dead offenders." - Ted Nugent

Definition of a conservative: A liberal who's been mugged.

God Bless America!
Wyldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 09:50 PM   #8

swkeltec will become famous soon enoughswkeltec will become famous soon enough

i was wondering the same thing after i went into a hosipital and saw the universal no gun sign and i was also wondering about the bank b/c i go into the bank with mine b/c there is no sign whatsoever where i bank.
swkeltec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 10:32 PM   #9

Sonny has a reputation beyond reputeSonny has a reputation beyond reputeSonny has a reputation beyond reputeSonny has a reputation beyond reputeSonny has a reputation beyond reputeSonny has a reputation beyond reputeSonny has a reputation beyond reputeSonny has a reputation beyond reputeSonny has a reputation beyond reputeSonny has a reputation beyond reputeSonny has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by swkeltec View Post
i was wondering the same thing after i went into a hosipital and saw the universal no gun sign and i was also wondering about the bank b/c i go into the bank with mine b/c there is no sign whatsoever where i bank.
im pretty sure a bank is considered a federal building?
Old 12-26-2009, 10:52 PM   #10

TheMrMitch has a reputation beyond reputeTheMrMitch has a reputation beyond reputeTheMrMitch has a reputation beyond reputeTheMrMitch has a reputation beyond reputeTheMrMitch has a reputation beyond reputeTheMrMitch has a reputation beyond reputeTheMrMitch has a reputation beyond reputeTheMrMitch has a reputation beyond reputeTheMrMitch has a reputation beyond reputeTheMrMitch has a reputation beyond reputeTheMrMitch has a reputation beyond repute

I can and have used my deputy status to carry open in a hospital with an inmate. No problem there.
Just going in for a test or to visit I will carry mine concealed.
IF I must be sedated for tests, I stop at the main desk and call security. My gun is checked in with them and retrieved after my proceedure is over.
Just use common sense.

The Bank is NOT a Federal Building and perfectly legal to carry there. It is FDIC INSURED and not under control of the gubment.

USMC 1959-1963

Youth And Brawn Are No Match For Age And Treachery.
I'm old and may not fight.....I'll shoot instead.
TheMrMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 11:42 PM   #11

ssracer has a reputation beyond reputessracer has a reputation beyond reputessracer has a reputation beyond reputessracer has a reputation beyond reputessracer has a reputation beyond reputessracer has a reputation beyond reputessracer has a reputation beyond reputessracer has a reputation beyond reputessracer has a reputation beyond reputessracer has a reputation beyond reputessracer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMrMitch View Post
It is FDIC INSURED and not under control of the gubment.
yet
ssracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:57 PM   #12

jamesericdean will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to jamesericdean

You should be okay carrying in a bank or a hospital. It is basically private property (short of VA hospitals, state mental hospitals yada yada and federal and state run hospitals) but remember that it is private property and they have the right to ask you to leave their property. And obviously if they ask you to leave their property and you do not, you can be charged with trespassing and arrested fairly quickly I would assume. Work on minimizing the "printing" of your gun and you should be fine. I carry my 1911 and my back up .38 at both places and do not see an issue. I ask a lot of questions on this to www.kc3.com, more directly a guy named Charles Riggs and he is a major help. Very knowledgeable and has considerable background on this subject.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:06 PM   #13

JD7.62 has a brilliant futureJD7.62 has a brilliant futureJD7.62 has a brilliant futureJD7.62 has a brilliant futureJD7.62 has a brilliant futureJD7.62 has a brilliant futureJD7.62 has a brilliant futureJD7.62 has a brilliant futureJD7.62 has a brilliant futureJD7.62 has a brilliant futureJD7.62 has a brilliant future

I carry when ever and where ever unless specifically forbid by the state of KY. That includes work (company prohibits it but concealed is concealed), hospitals, and banks.
JD7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:15 PM   #14

Marcus has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD7.62 View Post
I carry when ever and where ever unless specifically forbid by the state of KY. That includes work (company prohibits it but concealed is concealed), hospitals, and banks.
X2. With the exception that I never carried at my former job, but likely will at my next one.
Marcus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 08:11 PM   #15

Mickey223 will become famous soon enoughMickey223 will become famous soon enough

The only places you can not carry are:

A concealed firearm or other deadly weapon SHALL NOT be carried in the following places:

•Police station or sheriff's office.
•Detention facility, prison or jail.
•Courthouse (Court of Justice, courtroom or court proceeding).
•County, municipal, or special district governing body meetings.
•Meeting of governing body of a county, municipality, or special district.
•General Assembly session, including committee meetings.
•Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense beer or alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to that purpose.
•Elementary or secondary school facilities (without the consent of school authorities).
•Child-caring facilities, day care centers, or any certified family child care home.
•Areas within an airport where restricted access is controlled by the inspection of persons or property.
•Any place where federal law prohibits the carrying of a firearms

For primary schools, there is an exemption under KRS 527.070 that allows an adult who can legally posses a firearm to leave it in there vehicle while on school premises.

Also not that state law allows technical colleges and universities to make their own rules in regard to how a firearm can be on property owned by the school.
Mickey223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:01 PM   #16

lioivie has a reputation beyond reputelioivie has a reputation beyond reputelioivie has a reputation beyond reputelioivie has a reputation beyond reputelioivie has a reputation beyond reputelioivie has a reputation beyond reputelioivie has a reputation beyond reputelioivie has a reputation beyond reputelioivie has a reputation beyond reputelioivie has a reputation beyond reputelioivie has a reputation beyond repute

So is U of L's firearm ban similar to a private business that has it's own rules? I don't carry on campus because I'm under the impression that U of L security can presumably arrest me if im found to be carrying a deadly weapon. Am I wrong in assuming that? Are they only allowed to ask you to leave?

There's been such an increase in crime on campus and I wish the adminstrators would realize that the campus would be much safer if they allowed concealed deadly weapons. Students are perfect targets when muggers know that we're forbidden from arming ourselves.
lioivie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 07:47 PM   #17

Mickey223 will become famous soon enoughMickey223 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by lioivie View Post
So is U of L's firearm ban similar to a private business that has it's own rules? I don't carry on campus because I'm under the impression that U of L security can presumably arrest me if im found to be carrying a deadly weapon. Am I wrong in assuming that? Are they only allowed to ask you to leave?

There's been such an increase in crime on campus and I wish the adminstrators would realize that the campus would be much safer if they allowed concealed deadly weapons. Students are perfect targets when muggers know that we're forbidden from arming ourselves.
You can't be arrested for carrying on campus...however, you could receive disciplinary actions up to expulsion and you would not have a legal defense....in other words you couldn't sue the college using the "I have a concealed carry defense". You can find more info and what you can do about carrying concealed on campus at

www.concealedcampus.org and I do believe that Louisville has a Students for Concealed Carry on Campus organization.
Mickey223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:55 AM   #18

Walkeraviator will become famous soon enoughWalkeraviator will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey223 View Post
The only places you can not carry are:

A concealed firearm or other deadly weapon SHALL NOT be carried in the following places:

•Police station or sheriff's office.
•Detention facility, prison or jail.
•Courthouse (Court of Justice, courtroom or court proceeding).
•County, municipal, or special district governing body meetings.
•Meeting of governing body of a county, municipality, or special district.
•General Assembly session, including committee meetings.
•Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense beer or alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to that purpose.
•Elementary or secondary school facilities (without the consent of school authorities).
•Child-caring facilities, day care centers, or any certified family child care home.
•Areas within an airport where restricted access is controlled by the inspection of persons or property.
•Any place where federal law prohibits the carrying of a firearms

For primary schools, there is an exemption under KRS 527.070 that allows an adult who can legally posses a firearm to leave it in there vehicle while on school premises.

Also not that state law allows technical colleges and universities to make their own rules in regard to how a firearm can be on property owned by the school.
Keep in mind that this only applys to CONCEALED carry. If you wish to open carry, that is perfectly legal, but you still may be asked to leave in which case you leave to avoid criminal trespass charges.

you guys shoudl all visit opencarry.org if you havent already.
Walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 02:28 AM   #19
Banned

fatboi07 can only hope to improve

Quote:
Does this mean they can only restrict carry past the security checkpoint gate? Where they do the xray and all that.
fatboi07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:35 AM   #20

Walkeraviator will become famous soon enoughWalkeraviator will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboi07 View Post
Does this mean they can only restrict carry past the security checkpoint gate? Where they do the xray and all that.
That is exactly what it means. This has become an issue at CVG airport as tehy passed an ordinance that bans hanguns everywhere...and that is a violation of teh state 7th ammendment that preempts localities fom passing any firearmss laws more restrictive than state law.

By state law you can carry your firearm anywhere that doesnt require you go through security... which in airports like Bowman Field, where there is NO security screening, you can carry anywhere you like.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:52 AM   #21

TheWenisPrinkle will become famous soon enoughTheWenisPrinkle will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey223 View Post
You can't be arrested for carrying on campus...however, you could receive disciplinary actions up to expulsion and you would not have a legal defense....in other words you couldn't sue the college using the "I have a concealed carry defense". You can find more info and what you can do about carrying concealed on campus at

www.concealedcampus.org and I do believe that Louisville has a Students for Concealed Carry on Campus organization.
Note. You could be arrested for creating a public disturbance if your concealed weapon is spotted or if you open carry. I think people think that the police are cool with CCW. The reality is that they think that it just adds to the **** they have to deal with. Their job isn't interpreting the law, it is keeping the peace. We let the court decide if you are guilty. If you have a CCW and the presents of you and your weapon create an issue as far as Joe public is concerned you will be arrested and the court will decide the legal outcome. Even if you are found not guilty you will have been arrested booked and your gun will be confiscated. Note that guns that are confiscated rarely are returned even in cases that the defendent is found notguilty.

Another note. In KY a cop can hold anyone for 24 hours with out a charge, and then let you go. No harm no foul.

My point is that the rule of law will be argued well after you have been detained and it will cost mega bucks before it's over. Personally not worth it on my dime.
TheWenisPrinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 09:21 AM   #22

OneShotWonder has a brilliant futureOneShotWonder has a brilliant futureOneShotWonder has a brilliant futureOneShotWonder has a brilliant futureOneShotWonder has a brilliant futureOneShotWonder has a brilliant futureOneShotWonder has a brilliant futureOneShotWonder has a brilliant futureOneShotWonder has a brilliant futureOneShotWonder has a brilliant futureOneShotWonder has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssracer View Post
yet
ya beat me to it.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:04 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWenisPrinkle View Post
Note. You could be arrested for creating a public disturbance if your concealed weapon is spotted or if you open carry. I think people think that the police are cool with CCW. The reality is that they think that it just adds to the **** they have to deal with. Their job isn't interpreting the law, it is keeping the peace. We let the court decide if you are guilty. If you have a CCW and the presents of you and your weapon create an issue as far as Joe public is concerned you will be arrested and the court will decide the legal outcome. Even if you are found not guilty you will have been arrested booked and your gun will be confiscated. Note that guns that are confiscated rarely are returned even in cases that the defendent is found notguilty.

Another note. In KY a cop can hold anyone for 24 hours with out a charge, and then let you go. No harm no foul.

My point is that the rule of law will be argued well after you have been detained and it will cost mega bucks before it's over. Personally not worth it on my dime.

So in otherwords, the police can just violate my rights...all because joe public is ignorant... that sounds like guilty until proven innocent to me.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:19 AM   #24

TheWenisPrinkle will become famous soon enoughTheWenisPrinkle will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkeraviator View Post
So in otherwords, the police can just violate my rights...all because joe public is ignorant... that sounds like guilty until proven innocent to me.
Guilty or innocent is decided in court. Police are not lawyers or judges their job is to keep the peace. Just so you know that the jail system is full of people that are presummed innocent still, hell some of them have been there over a year. That is what the jails do they hold people till they get their day in court. If you lose you go to prision (guilty) if you win you get to go home (innocent).

If you are dying to get roughed up and locked up, then try debating the fine points of law with the officer that shows up at this hypothetical situation. Tell him or her that you are right and they are violating your rights.

"He is oppressing me."
"Come see the violence inherent in the system."
"He is oppressing me."
---Monty Python Flying Circus

Last edited by TheWenisPrinkle; 02-26-2010 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Spelling
TheWenisPrinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:18 AM   #25
Banned

fatboi07 can only hope to improve

I was asked to leave my local mall today because I met a friend and had my ar in the trunk, in its case. He arrived, i popped the trunk, opened the case, never picked it up. Just then mall security came by and asked was going on. (Doing theyre nightly rounds I guess) I told her I was showing my friend my new gun I purchased and she said I needed to leave because guns are not allowed on the property as even the parking lot is private property. Isnt there a law that says your allowed to have a firearm in your vehicle as long as its not government property?
fatboi07 is offline   Reply With Quote